Self-drive Tours Namibia
Namibia is road-trip country. Get away from the traffic, the noise and drama of over-populated countries and travel the road less travelled.
From the moment you collect your vehicle at the Namibian airport of your arrival, you will be on your independent self-drive tour of Namibia. Within minutes you're in open country with rolling plains and hills as your roadside companions. There is only one busy road and that is the main trunk road from Windhoek north to the populated rural areas above Etosha where rainfall is a bit more reliable than the rest of the country.
Beyond this main road, which is quiet by any other country's standards, the roads become wonderfully empty of traffic, dwellings or any other signs of civilisation. The authorities don't bother you with excessive road furniture either: it's just you, the grass-encroached road and the open landscape.
Driving times are great in Namibia on account of the great distances and mostly gravel roads. This is not a bad thing. Stop often and enjoy the subtle slow changes of the landscape; overnight and explore the area and set off again at your stately pace. In Namibia the journey is the holiday and you've no choice to adhere to this maxim.
Namibia is without doubt the best self-drive destination in Africa. That is a bold statement so we'll back it up with facts:
- Most popular option: about 75% of all visitors to Namibia opt for self-drive tours
- Good roads: mostly gravel/unpaved, the roads are well maintained and make for easy driving
- Save money: self-drive is the most affordable and fun way to explore Namibia
- Low traffic: one car every hour and everyone waves to you
- Back-up service: our car hire partners offer breakdown assistance countrywide
- Off the beaten highway: Namibia is a country of back roads; not a single highway, motorway, expressway...
- Safe: crime is almost non-existent and emergency services cover the whole country
- Easy: there are hundreds of places to stop including campsites, lodges and hotels
- Accessible: all of the lodges and campsites in the country are accessible by road all year round
- Best of both worlds: safari lodges in Namibia have excellent guides who will take you on game drives, hikes, scenic drives, water safaris and nature walks so you won't miss out on the benefits of a professional guide and a proper Namibian safari while enjoying the freedom of a self-drive tour
- We have a variety of vehicles for hire at competitive rates
- View a map showing approximate driving times
- View a map showing road-trip friendly African countries
- Vehicles can include complete camping equipment for 2 - 4 people per vehicle
- We offer car hire in Botswana, South Africa and Zimbabwe as well
Talk to your Travel Expert now about your self-drive tour of Namibia and southern Africa.
More In Self-drive
“I highly recommend you use Namibia Tours & Safaris if you're planning a visit to this country. Great logistics, great value, really personal service. Very fun to work with!”
“I feel that Edward is honest, extremely helpful, and a true professional. I will recommend this company and Edward's expertise to anyone heading to Africa. A perfect trip!!”
“We had an 18-day private guided tour (Namibia, Botswana and Vic Falls) organised by the NTS team. Our consultant Wilmari was amazing both in preparation to and during our travel. Responsive, personable and diligent she put together an excellent itinerary.”
“Our fly-in safari was a life experience we treasure. The scenery, people and arrangements were all outstanding. Bianca of Namibia Tours & Safaris put together the trip of our dreams. We highly recommend her!”
“Namibia Tours and Safaris and their consultants are the best. Ulrike, our consultant, helped us over a 2 year period to plan our 4x4 Safari details. She had the patience of a saint and the insight and knowledge of a true local.”
“Chantelle did a fantastic job in organizing our self-drive trip through Namibia. Nothing was too much hassle and Chantelle was so helpful and responsive throughout the whole process.”
“Having tried to organise this trip myself I was very appreciative of the knowledge and support given by Ashlee who could not have been more supportive.”
“The organisation and response from the initial contact was fast and flawless thanks to Bonique our tour consultant. Her recommendations were perfectly tailored to our needs with a lot of foresight and local knowledge.”
“The service and help we got from Tessa was fantastic, as a result we had a tremendous trip and loved everything in Namibia.”
“Janine from NTS proposed us a great trip that suited our needs and wishes finding the right accommodation and great places. We had a wonderful stay and it was nice to meet with her in Swakop. Definitely recommend!”
“I have no words to express my gratitude to Carmen Scott and all the NTS team for their excellent work. Keep it up and all the best!”
“I cannot find any hassle or negative point for the organisation of this trip. Outstanding material, good accommodation, simply perfect. What a great company!”